Are you looking for eco friendly cleaning products that disinfect? Look no further. In this post, I will be sharing four of the best eco friendly products for cleaning, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen!
Are you interested in making the switch to natural cleaning products or eco-friendly cleaning products? Are you worried that making the switch will be too complicated or costly? Well, what if I tell you that switching to natural cleaning products is not only environmentally friendly, but it’s also wallet-friendly? Yes, that’s right. You can save money all while doing your part to save the planet and doing what’s best for your health.
When I moved away for college and started living on my own I started exclusively using natural cleaning products. I made the switched to natural cleaning products during my college years and have never looked back. I don’t know about you, but those harsh chemicals in popular cleaning products and those synthetic fragrances give me a massive headache if I am around them for too long! This is one of the reasons why I’m so glad I made the switch.
In this post, you will learn about different products you can use to make sure your home is squeaky clean without using harsh chemicals. The products that I will be sharing are budget friendly and easy to obtain.
This post is all about eco friendly cleaning products that disinfect.
Why use natural cleaning products?
Many people are switching from using products that are full of harsh chemicals to natural cleaning products. This is for good reason. If you haven’t switched to using natural products here’s why you should consider doing so.
- Natural products tend to be eco-friendly meaning that they won’t cause environmental damage.
- Natural cleaning products are better for your health, unlike products that are full of harsh chemicals. Products made from harsh chemicals can be hazardous and can cause lung damage, chemical burns, tissue damage, asthma, and other respiratory issues.
- Eco-friendly and natural products are less likely to contain allergens.
- Most natural cleaning products are cruelty-free. All of the products I will talk about in this post are.
THE BEST ECO-FRIENDLY CLEANING PRODUCTS THAT DISINFECT
Baking soda is an amazing non toxic all purpose cleaner. It’s very versatile and doesn’t have a scent or odor. In fact, backing soda can absorb odors. This product is a staple in my house. I use it for baking, cleaning, and disinfecting!
Baking soda is easy to use. You can sprinkle some on the areas you want to clean or create a paste with it. You can also add it to sponges and scrub away. It’s great for scrubbing without being abrasive on delicate surfaces.
How to use baking soda for cleaning:
- Sprinkle some baking soda in the sink, covering the entirety of it. Then add a bit of warm water and scrub using a sponge. After scrubbing, use water from the faucet to rinse off all of the baking soda.
- Clean your shower curtain by scrubbing it with baking soda.
- Use baking soda to clean the tub or tiles by sprinkling some in the tub or on the tiles, adding some warm water, then scrubbing away.
- Soak your dish sponge in baking soda and warm water to keep it fresh until it is time to replace it.
- Clean greasy pots and pans by adding some baking soda and warm water. Then scrub gently.
- Eliminate odor in the fridge by adding baking soda to a cup and then placing the cup in the fridge.
- Add baking soda and warm or hot water to a jar then give it a good stir. Add your current toothbrush and let it sit in the water for thirty minutes. Afterward, rinse your toothbrush with water. Do this on a weekly basis to disinfect your toothbrush until it’s time to replace it.
Vinegar is one of the best eco friendly cleaning products that disinfect. Like baking soda, it is versatile and easy to use. It’s best to dilute the vinegar with water unless you are using it to clean mold.
Ok, vinegar isn’t the best-smelling thing out there, but I personally don’t mind the smell. If you would like to mask the smell of the vinegar when you are cleaning then I have a tip for you a little later on in this post.
Getting your hands on vinegar is super easy because you are likely to find it at any grocery store. It is not only easy to obtain, but it is also super affordable! Vinegar is one of the best eco friendly cleaning products for these reasons. You can also use vinegar to make many homemade natural cleaning products.
How to use vinegar for cleaning:
- Combine equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle. Use that to clean windows, mirrors, countertops, floors, stoves, toilets, and tubs.
- Use undiluted vinegar to clean mold on walls, ceiling, windows, etc. Don’t forget to wear a mask and some gloves.
- Use vinegar to clean your washing machine. Add two cups of vinegar to the detergent dispenser and run a clean cycle.
- Avoid using vinegar on natural stones such as granite and marble because vinegar can cause damage to these stones.
Citric acid is naturally found in citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, and limes. It acts as a gentle bleaching agent, it helps removes stains, kills mold, and removes soap scum.
It’s OK if you don’t always have lemons or limes on hand because you can use powdered citric acid as your non toxic all purpose cleaner. Powdered citric acid isn’t expensive and it lasts a long time. You can use any powdered citric acid such as this one.
To make an all purpose spray using citric acid combine 1 cup of hot water and 1 tablespoon of citric acid in a spray bottle. Shake well and start cleaning. Citric acid is natural and safe, but you should wear gloves to avoid possible skin irritation.
How to use citric acid for cleaning:
- Clean the kitchen by spraying the citric acid mixture onto the countertops, your sink, and the faucet. Then wipe them down with a cloth.
- Use it to clean mirrors and windows.
- Clean the toilet bowl by adding 2 tablespoons of citric acid to it. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes then scrub it with the toilet brush. After scrubbing the toilet flush it.
- Clean the bathroom tiles with the citric acid and water mixture. Spray the tiles then let the mixture sit on the tiles for 10-15 minutes. Then scrub and rinse.
- Clean the surface of your washer by spraying it and then wiping it down.
- Avoid using citric acid on natural stones such as granite and marble because it can cause damage.
Sodium percarbonate can deodorize, clean, and disinfect. This makes it a great product for natural cleaning. I like to use it to clean some parts of my kitchen and bathroom.
So what is sodium percarbonate? It is a powder that is made from sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. When mixed with water, it releases oxygen, water, and soda crystals.
How to use sodium percarbonate for cleaning:
- Clean your washing machine by adding 1-2 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate to the washing machine’s detergent dispenser. Then run a washing or cleaning cycle using warm water.
- Clean clogged drains by sprinkling 2-3 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate into and around the drain. Then slowly pour hot water. Make sure you pour the hot water little by little.
- You can clean your kitchen sink drain strainer or strainer basket with sodium percarbonate. Put your sink drain strainer in a bowl. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate and pour hot water over it making sure the strainer is fully covered with water. It will start to bubble up. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse the strainer with water.
- Use sodium percarbonate to clean the grout between your tiles. Simply sprinkle some sodium percarbonate onto the tiles and add a bit of hot water. Alternatively, you can create a paste using sodium percarbonate and some water. Afterward, apply the paste to the grout. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then scrub the grout with a brush. Then rinse off with water.
- You can clean your toilet using sodium percarbonate. Add 3-5 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate to your toilet bowl. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then scrub it with your toilet brush.
- Wear gloves to avoid possible skin irritation and avoid contact with eyes.
What if you want your non toxic cleaning products to smell nice?
Ok, not everyone likes the smell of plain vinegar and water. So, what can you do to add a little scent to your homemade natural cleaning products? Two words: essential oils.
Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil into your vinegar and water solution. Some great essential oils to use are lemon, citronella, lavender, and peppermint.